SAP ABAP Interview Questions
Interviews are fun as well as thrilling to attend. There are a lot of things which you think you know, however, whenever you sit in an interview, you get to know that there are still many things for you to learn and implement in your life. With the help of our SAP ABAP interview questions and answers, the process of learning the questions and answers becomes easier for you. You need not have to worry about anything else, just learn the answers to the appropriate questions, and give the interview confidently.
ABAP is a programming language introduced by the prominent software development company, based in Germany named SAP SE. The difficulty level in this programming structure is quite high and cannot be performed without double checking the codes that are going to be executed. It is presently positioned with Java and as a type of programming language for SAP NetWeaver web and application server, which is also a part of the NetWeaver platform for creating business applications. ABAP stands for Advanced Business Application Programming which is set as default option language for all the SAP Applications
Best SAP ABAP Interview Questions of 2020
1.What is SAP ABAP?
SAP is a type of software known as ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning) that large company use to manage their day to day affairs. ABAP (Advanced Business Application Programming) is the coding language for SAP to develop RICEFW objects. (Reports, Interfaces, Extensions, Forms and Workflows).
2.What do you mean by an ABAP data dictionary?
To describe the logical structures of the objects that are used in application development ABAP 4 data dictionary is used. It is also used to show the underlying relational database in tables.
3.Explain the difference between pool tables and transparent tables?
Transparent tables: It has one to one relation with the table in the database. Its structure corresponds to single database field.
Pooled tables: It has many to one relation with the table in the database. Pooled tables are stored at the database level.
Basic List: For simple reports
- Statistics: For Percentage, Average etc.
- Ranked List : For analytical reports
4.What do you mean by BDC (Batch Data Communications) programming?
It is an automatic procedure to transfer large or external data into SAP system. 'Queue file' is the central component of the transfer, which receives the data through batch input programs and groups that are associated into 'sessions'.
5.Describe the data classes?
The data classes are classified into following classes
Master Data: The data in this class seldom change
Transaction Data: The data can be changed often in this class
Organization Data: This data is a customized data and is entered in the system when the system is configured. It is rarely changed.
System Data: This data is used by R/3 system itself
6.What are the internal tables?
Internal table exists only when the program is run. It is used for performing table calculations on subset of database tables and also for re-organizing the content of database tables as per the users need.
7.List down the functional modules used in sequence in BDC?
There are 3 functional modules which are used in sequence to perform data transfer successfully using BDC programming. They are
8.What is a foreign key relationship?
To ensure the consistency of data, foreign keys are used. The relationship established between the tables and must be explicitly defined at field level. Data entered should be checked against the existing data to ensure that there is no contradiction. Cardinality has to be specified while defining foreign key relationship.
9.In ABAP what are the differences between table and structure in data dictionary?
The difference between structure and table is
- Data can be stored physically in Table, but a structure cannot
- Structure does not have primary key but table can have
- Table can have the technical attribute but the structure does not have
10.What are the different types of data classes? Define them
The data classes are divided into the following -
- Master data - The data of this class rarely changes.
- Transaction data - This type of data often changes.
- Organization data - The data of this class also rarely changes. The data gets customized and gets entered into the configured system.
- System data - R/3 system uses this data.
11.What is the meaning of SAP R/3??
SAP R/3 mainly refers to the processing structure having three types of layers namely, Presentation layer, application layer, and database layer. It is generally considered to be Systems Application for processing of data.
12. Differentiate between OOABAP and ABAP.
For the development of traditional programs in R/3, ABAP is used. On the other hand, OOABAP is used for the development of BSP/PCUI applications.
13. What is the meaning of table buffer? This buffer is used by which type oftable?
The word buffer here refers to the memory area. The information about the table is found on the application server and this is the meaning of table buffer. In fact, even the data of the database table actually comes from the application server. Cluster table can't be buffeted but however, transparent and pool tables can be buffered.
14.How can cluster table be created?
The following steps must be followed to create cluster table -
- From the dictionary of ABAP, object type table must be selected. Table name should be entered and then the create option must be chosen.
- A maintenance screen gets displayed for the table. Transparent table must be set as default for table type option.
- On the page of attributes, changes must be done in the description box or parallel. Next, table fields get defined.
- Save the entries for the creation of transparent table.
- The category of EXTRAS Change must be chosen.
- Pooled or cluster table - any one of the two table types must be selected from the dialogue box.
- Next step includes returning to the field maintenance screen for the table.
- Lastly, the name of the cluster or pooled table must be selected entered.
15. Differentiate between Table and Template.
The main difference between Template and Table is that the former one is dynamic in nature whereas the latter one is static in nature.
16. Define dispatcher.
The resources of the applications of R/3 are managed with the help of SAP dispatcher which is basically a control agent.
17. How can the standard tables of SAP be modified?
The standard table of SAP can be modified mainly by two methods -
- Customizing includes
18. What are the various events associated with Screen Programming?
The following are the events associated with Screen Programming -
- Process Before Output (PBO) - This event gets processed long before displaying the screen.
- Process After Input (PAI) - This event is processed while the interaction of a user with the screen continues.
- Process On Help (POH) - This even gets process on request by a user after pressing F1. The program gets appropriately coded in various event blocks. The present screen gets processed by the system.
- Process On Value (POV) - This gets processed by pressing F4 by users. Here also, the coding can be done in the various event blocks.
19. What are the main events of which are used for Logical Database?
The main events used for Logical Database are as follows -
- GET - The programs used for Logical Database ads executed with the help of this event. It mainly takes place when a line from the node was read by the logical database. This has made it very much available towards the program and GET statements determine the depth of the logical database.
- PUT - The flow of the program is directed by the PUT event.
20. How can End-of-selection be used?
While writing the code of HR-ABAP, End of the selection event can be used. Right at the beginning of the skeleton event, the data gets retrieved. Printing of the same data is done at the end of the selection event.
21. Define ALV programming in ABAP.
ALV is the abbreviation of Application List Viewer. ALV functions are provided by SAP in order for enhancing the report output. These function modules help in improving the readability and the functionality of the output report. Even the columns can be arranged with the help of this tool.
22. Differentiate between report and dialog program.
Dialog program is considered to be a module pool program while a report is considered to be an executable program. The execution is mainly done through a transaction. Screens can be customized with the help of Dialog programming.
23. Mention the various types of objects of the data dictionary.
The following are the data dictionary objects -
- Data Element
- Search Helps or Matchcode Objects
- Type Groups
- Look Objects
- Table Types
24 What are the various types of parameters and how are they distinguished from one another?
There are mainly two types of parameters -
- Formal parameters - This is basically defined when the subroutine gets defined alongside FORM statement.
- Actual parameters - This is defined when the subroutine gets defined alongside the PERFORM statement.
These can be distinguished by distinguishing the functionality. The data are passed to the subroutines with the help of the Input parameters and data are passed from the subordinates with the help of output parameters.
25. Mention the various databases integrities.
The following are the different types of database integrities -
- Primary Key Integrity
- Relational Integrity
- Value Set Integrity
- Operational Integrity
- Foreign Key Integrity
26.Differentiate between ABAP memory and SAP memory.
ABAP memory is considered to be the memory area included in the ABAP program available in the internal section or the roll area of the ABAP program. Data is stored in the program calls which allow the data to be passed from one program calls to another.
It is possible for data to be passed from one session to another with the help of using SAP Memory. All the sessions of SAPgui have accused to the memory area known as SAP Memory. Data can be very easily transferred from one session of the programming system to another
27.What statement will be found in an SAP application program that implements a function module exit?
Function module exits will exist in some SAP application programs to allow a customer to add some functionality to the SAP program. Search the SAP application program globally looking for the following search string: “CALL CUSTOMER” to determine if an exit exists.
28.What is a BADI?
BADI stands for Business add-in. BADI’s are a relatively new enhancement concept that make use of ABAP Object technology. This is a true object oriented approach to SAP enhancements using classes, interfaces and methods to implement the BADI
In order to enhance a SAP application program, the BADI must first be defined. The developer will create an interface for the BADI. An adapter class is created from this that will implement the interface. Developers will then create an instance of the adapter class in the SAP application program and create method calls as required.
29.Explain the relationship between a functional area, user group and query when developing queries using the SAP Query tool?
- Functional areas and user groups are organizational elements used in SAP Query that must first be created in order to user the query environment.
- The data that a query will be based on is defined in a functional area. A functional area is typically - based on a logical database but can be any table and fields within that table.
- Users are assigned to user groups. Functional areas are also assigned for the user group allowing users to create and start queries based on the data in that functional area. Multiple functional areas can be assigned to a user group and a functional area can be assigned to several different groups.
30.What ABAP statement will trigger list generation?
The first WRITE statement encountered in an ABAP program will trigger list processing. Upon completion of the program, the list is output. The system will generate some standard headings for list output that includes the program name and a page number in the heading.
Career scopes and salary scale
Although this is considered as one of the tough programming languages to learn, the number of jobs in this specific field is also significant. This means that there are good opportunities available for you if you have the right expertise to work in this field and execute all the difficult programming codes and write the language. Most of the companies who are hiring candidates to write these types of codes look for appropriate skillsets and knowledge of the candidates. For a fresher, he or she can earn up to 50,000 to 60,000 dollars per annum initially, while for an experienced person, he or she has the opportunity to earn about 1,00,000 dollars to 1,20,000 dollars per annum.
It seems to be tough to crack interviews focusing on SAP ABAP, however, with the help of our SAP ABAP interview questions, you need have to worry about anything else. If you have doubts or queries, you can leave us a message and we will see that your query is addressed with the right answer within a short duration of time.