WordPress Interview Questions
Have you completed your graduation? Are you all set to sit in an interview and find yourself a job? If you aren’t, then it’s time for you to prepare yourself and ensure that you answer all the questions asked in an interview. In order to do that, you can leverage our WordPress Interview questions and answers that are prepared by the experts and professionals who know what type of questions are generally asked in an interview and how you can answer that so that it satisfies the interviewers easily.
WordPress is an open source system that is based on PHP and MySQL and is known for its content management feature. It is free of cost to use and make interesting contents for your website. Apart from this, there are several other hot features of WordPress for which it is widely used in each and every sector of Industry that requires blogging. The plugin architecture is considered as the best feature of WordPress allowing users to insert plugins in their site to drive the investors and traffic, earning a huge amount of money per month as profits. It also supports traditional mailing systems and forums, galleries of media, and other online stores.
Best WordPress Interview Questions of 2020
1. What is WordPress?
Word press is a best Open Source CMS which allows it to be used free of cost. You can use it on any personal or commercial website without having to pay a single penny for it. It is built on PHP/MySQL (which is again Open Source) and licensed under GPL.
2. How safe is a website on WordPress?
The word press is safe to operate, but still, it is suggested to keep updating with the latest version of WordPress to avoid hacking.
3. Are there any limitations to a WordPress website?
You can use WordPress for e-commerce sites, membership sites, photo galleries and any other type of site you can think of. The website is created using the same HTML code as any other site, so there are no limitations there either.
4. Do you need to have a blog in order to use WordPress for a site?
WordPress was originally used as blogging software though it has since become popular for the website also. It is not necessary to have a blog to use WordPress. Still having a blog is commendable as it will help in search engine optimization.
5. From SEO point of view is WordPress helpful? Will it show the website on Google?
It is one of the benefits of using WordPress; it has inbuilt SEO search engine. Also, you can have an additional plug-in in WordPress to help with SEO and rank on a popular search engine like Google.
6. What is the current version of WordPress?
You need to quote the current version of WordPress available in the market along with the release date.
7. What are the types of hooks in WordPress and mention their functions?
There are two types of hooks 1) Action hooks 2) Filter hooks
Hooks allow a user to create WordPress theme or plugin with shortcode without changing the original files. Action hooks allow you to insert an additional code from an outside resource, whereas, Filter hooks will only allow you to add content or text at the end of the post.
8. What do you mean by a custom field in WordPress?
The custom field is a meta-data that allows you to store arbitrary information in the WordPress post. Through custom field, extra information can be added to the post.
9. What are the positive aspects of WordPress?
Few positive aspects of WordPress are
- Easy installation and upgrade
- In-built SEO engine
- Easy theme system
- Multilingual- available in more than 70 languages
- Own data- no unwanted advert on your website
- Flexibility and Easy publishing option
10. What are the rules that you have to follow for WordPress plugin development?
- Create a unique name
- Create the plugin’s folder
- Create a sub-folder for PHP files, translations, and assets
- Create the main plug-in file and fill in the header information
- Create activation and de-activation functions
- Create an uninstall script
- Create a readme.txt file
- To detect paths to plugin file use proper constants and functions
11. What is the prefix of WordPress tables by default?
By default, wp_ is the prefix for WordPress.
12. Why does WordPress use MySQL?
MySQL is widely available database server and is extremely fast. It is an open source, and it is available at no cost also it is supported by many low-cost Linux hosts so its easy for anyone to host their website.
13. Is it possible to rename the WordPress folder?
Yes, it is possible to rename the WordPress folder. If WordPress is already installed, you have to log in to the weblog as the administrator and then change the settings
WordPress address (URI) :
Blog address( URI) :
After making the changes, you can rename the folder or directory with the WordPress file in it.
14. How many tables are there in WordPress by default?
There are about 11 tables in WordPress by default. Note: With succeeding releases of WordPress this number will change. You need to check phpMyAdmin to determine the number of tables in a vanilla version of latest WordPress installation.
15. What year was WordPress released?
16. What is WordPress loop?
To display post WordPress use PHP code, this code is known as a loop.
17. How can you disable the WordPress comment?
If you go to the dashboard under options “discussion, there is a comment “ Allow people to post comment” try unchecking the comment.
18. What are the steps you can take if your WordPress file is hacked?
- Install security plugins like WP security
- Re-install the latest version of WordPress
- Change password and user-ids for all your users
- Check your themes and plug-ins are up to date
19. How many default tables are the WordPress, Can you list them?
There are 11 table in wordpress, they are
20. What is default table prefix for wordpress?
wp_ is default prefix for WordPress.
21. What are disadvantages of WordPress?
- Use of multiple plugins can make website heavy to load and slow
- Only utilizes PHP
- Sometimes updates can lead to loss of data, so you always need a backup copy
- Modifying images and tables are difficult.
22. What is the difference between installing and activating a theme?
When a theme is activated it’s what’s controlling your site, while an installed theme is simply part of your theme library and available to activate.
23. Which ‘meta box’ is not hidden by default on Post and Page screens?
Featured Image is the meta box that is not hidden by default on Post and Page screens.
24. What is the difference between the two URLs in General Settings? (Hint: WordPress Address AND Site Address).
The WordPress Address is where to look for WordPress files, while the Site Address is what will be used as the base for creating URLs for web pages.
25. What do you mean by the custom field in WordPress?
Custom fields are also known as post meta. Post meta is a feature in WordPress which allows post authors to add additional information at the time writing a post. WordPress stores this information as metadata in key-value pairs. Users can later display this metadata by using template tags in their WordPress themes if required.
26. In WordPress, objects are passed by value or by reference.
In WordPress, all objects are passed by value.
27. What is the loop in WordPress?
The Loop is PHP code used by WordPress to display posts.
28. How can you disable comments in WordPress?
To disable comments in WordPress, Please follow below steps
- Step 1: Login to your WordPress admin panel.
- Step 2: Go to the Settings menu.
- Step 3: Under Settings menu click on Discussion.
- Step 4: Uncheck Allow people to post comments on new articles.checkbox
- Step 5: Click on save changes button, you done
29. How to run database Query on WordPress?
WordPress’s query function allows you to execute any SQL query on the WordPress database. It is best used when there is a need for specific, custom, or otherwise complex SQL queries. For more basic queries, such as selecting information from a table, see the other wpdb functions above such as get_results, get_var, get_row or get_col.
<?php $wpdb->query('query'); ?>
Read more from https://codex.wordpress.org/Class_Reference/wpdb#Running_General_Queries
30. List some action and filter hooks functions in WordPress?
Below are list of some Filter hooks functions
Below are list of some Action hooks functions
Career scopes and salary scale
With the technology industry growing rapidly across all the markets around the world, WordPress is regularly used in the industries that deal with any sort of contents. If you have good expertise and knowledge about content management, then choosing this career option and making a good career out of it won’t be a bad idea for you. Over a period of time, you will be able to earn a lot of money if you use your skillsets and knowledge at the right place and right time. For a fresher, there is an opportunity to earn about 72,500 dollars per annum, while for an experienced person, he or she can earn up to 123,250 dollars per annum.
If you have adequate knowledge and skills to work in the WordPress sector, then choose this career option without thinking much. We are here to assist you in cracking the WordPress interview questions by providing you the right answers.