Java 11 is the first LTS, future Support attribute launch after Java 8. It followed the Java launch cadence introducing Java 10 afterward and it was released in Sept 2018, just after six months of the Java 10 launch.
Java 9 and Java 10 are non-LTS releases. Java 11 launch may be an LTS release.
New Main features that are introduced in Java 11 are given below:
- JEP 321 − HTTP Client API standardized.
- JEP 330 − Launch Single-File Source-Code Programs without compilation
- JEP 323 − Local-Variable Syntax for Lambda Parameters
- JEP 181 − Nest-Based Access Control
- JEP 331 − Low-Overhead Heap Profiling
- JEP 318 − Epsilon, A No-Op garbage man
- JEP 333 − ZGC A Scalable Low-Latency garbage man
- Collection API Updates − New Collection.toArray(IntFunction) Default Method.
- String API Updates − New methods added like repeat(), isBlank(), strip() and lines().
- Files API Updates − New methods added like readString(), and writeString().
- Optional Updates − New method added, isEmpty().
Java 11 improves many APIs with new ways and options and detaches deprecated APIs and options.